Special Education consists of access to specialized instruction and related services which are individually designed to provide educational benefit
The removal of a child from the general education environment occurs only when the nature or severity of the disability is such that education in the general education classroom with the use of supplementary aids and services cannot be achieved satisfactorily.
Eligibility is determined within sixty (60) days through a defined assessment process. The district offers instructional support services, service specific classes, counseling enhanced classes, academic life skills classes, occupational therapy, speech and language service.
To the maximum extent appropriate, children with disabilities, are educated with children who are not disabled.
The department is responsible for the following:
- Managing and administering all aspects of Special Education, CARE team, 504 Plans, health, psychological, home/hospital teaching, and guidance services.
- Coordination & management of 504 process (Students with Disabilities - Americans with Disabilities Act).
- Seeking and completing grant applications to expand educational services.
- Administering the Martinez Early Intervention Preschool Programs.
- Administration of Medi-CAL Reimbursement / MAA Training and Billing.
- Coordination & management with referral, assessment, and identification of students with special needs.
- Facilitating IEPs (Individual Education Plan).
- Homeless and Foster Youth Programs