Skip to main content

Foster Youth/Homelessness

Foster Youth/Homelessness


  • Right to Remain in Your School of Origin
  • Right to Immediate Enrollment in School
  • Right to Partial Credits for High School Students
  • Graduation Rights
  • College Rights
  • School Discipline Rights
  • Right to Your School Records

For more information, please click here.


  • As a foster youth, you also have other rights that are not related to school, such as the right to see a doctor or to have private storage space.  For more information, please see the Foster Youth Bill of Rights (click here)


  • If your family lives in any of the following situations:
    • In a shelter, motel, or campground
    • In a park, abandoned building, bus or train station, or some other inadequate accommodation
    • Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic 

Then, your school-aged children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.

  • If your children are eligible, they have the right to:
    • Receive the free, appropriate public education to which they are entitled.
    • Be enrolled in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
    • Be enrolled in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documentation.
    • Enroll in the local school near where they're living; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference and is feasible.  If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your child, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of it position and offer you the opportunity to appeal its decision.
    • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
    • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to all other students, according to your child's need.


Amy Espinoza

Director, Educational Services


Links to Resources

If you are a homeless or foster youth and have questions about your education rights or enrollment procedures, please call Student Servicest, 925-335-5918.

how to access support when experiencing homelessness

Contra Costa Crisis Center Information