Skip to main content

Non-District Courses

The District recognizes unique student needs for credit-recovery and advancement.  These regulations are designed to offer some flexibility to meet individual student needs while maintaining the integrity of the diploma of graduation and transcript of record from the Martinez Unified School District (MUSD).  Alternative means specified by the district for completing the prescribed course of study shall be made available to students, parents/guardians, and the public. (Education Code 51225.3)


  • Advancement (to get into a higher level course the following academic year)
  • Enrichment (for personal interest; taking this course does not impact the student’s schedule for next year)
  • Remediation (to earn a higher grade for a course in which a D or F was originally earned)

MUSD Non-District Course (NDC) Policy

  • It is the responsibility of the student/family to ensure that the NDC/institution meets the following criteria:
    • WASC/ASC accredited
    • UC/CSU approved
    • The institution provides a letter grade and academic credits for the course
    • The institution provides an official transcript (“official academic record” or “official grade report” is not sufficient)
  • Students who wish to remediate a grade of D or F may do so by enrolling in an equivalent NDC for high school credit. Both the original (MUSD) grade, as well as the rediated (NDC) grade, will appear on the MUSD transcript.
  • Courses specifically designated as Credit Recovery will not be accepted. (Credit Recovery courses do not cover all standards) Students must complete the full semester or year-long course.
  • Upon completion of the NDC, an official transcript showing course completion must be submitted to the Registrar at the student’s high school. Transcripts must be sent directly from the institution via mail, email, or fax to the student’s high school. Alternatively, students may hand-carry an official (sealed) transcript to the registrar’s office at their high school. Students who would like the NDC posted to their high school transcript must also submit a “Non-District Course” application before enrollment in the course.
  • Students can have up to 40 credits of non-MUSD coursework on their high school transcript but are limited to 20 credits per academic year, and 20 credits in any given subject area.
  • Accredited college or university credits meeting the equivalency requirements will be granted at the rate of (1) college credit equaling three and one-third (3-⅓) high school credits.


Please note that it is the student/parent’s responsibility to verify that educational institutions have the necessary accreditation and that courses are UC or CSU-approved by visiting the proper links before enrolling in a course. (Accreditation and UC/CSU approval can change from year to year.)  If there is a NDC you would like to take, make sure:

  • The Institution is WASC-accredited or regionally accredited and offers coursework that leads to a high school diploma
    • Institutions that have only Supplemental accreditation do not qualify (i.e. Art of Problem Solving, John Hopkins Center for Talented Youth, Language Bird, etc.)
  • The course is UC Approved 
  • The Institution issues letter grades
  • The Institution issues an official transcript

If the course does not meet even one of the above criteria, then it cannot be used.


  • Eighth grade students are welcome to start (and complete) a course for advancement in the spring; however, it will not be put on the student’s high school transcript for credit (a note will be made in the comments section: “math course taken for advancement”, if applicable)

  • If current eighth grade students wish for a summer course to be put on their high school transcript, they must complete the course after they are promoted from middle school, in the summer after eighth grade.


According to Board Policy grades from non-district courses will be weighted if:

  • The equivalent course is offered and weighted in MUSD or
  • A comparable course is not offered and the course being taken is transferable to the UC and/or CSU systems for college credit.